Monday, March 19, 2012

The Three Keys

Happy St. Patrick's Day from the Savannah, Georgia parade second in size only to New York's and Georgians think that's debatable.

It's also spring and weddings are in the air. I've been pondering what advice to give the soon-to-be-marrieds among us  like our granddaughter Katie. 

I think I shall say:
Marriage is only hard if you want to stay engaged in a love affair. If you choose to settle for less than a dynamic intimate union you can take the emotional walk into separateness, at least on certain issues. Life on the surface may be easier. If you’ve known the excitement of emotional oneness it’s never as fulfilling.

Plus God doesn’t like lukewarm marriages any more than he likes lukewarm relationships with Him.

So what’s the answer? It comes in three. Speak through pain, love through anger, listen rather than run.

These are the three keys to making a real marriage. Not just one that works, but one that does honor to the God who designed this fantastic union between frail, flawed men and women  - and even sacramentalized it.

It helps to know God has a blanket of love big enough for two, when one of you temporarily hasn’t enough to keep the other warm. You can stay under and re-energize as you use the three keys to re-connect.

The best advice of all is from Psalm 119:25-27. "My life is down in the dust; give me life through Your word. I told you about my life and you listened to me; teach me Your statutes. Help me understand the meaning of Your precepts so that I can meditate on Your wonders."

Isn't a good marriage always a wonder of God! Feel free to share these thoughts with those you love. 
 (c) Judith Rolfs 2012



You may also want to check out the Intimacy Reviver in A Woman's Guide To Keeping Promises available on amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment