Thursday, November 20, 2008


Today's Thoughts

I’m a prayer-learner and shall be until I have my face-to-face flat down, collapsed in awe, first-ever encounter with God in heaven. In the meantime, I’ve learned a few things about the prayer process, which I humbly share. 

Prayer for me is opening myself through thought and inner conversation to the spiritual relationship I have with my dearly beloved and mystifyingly in-love-with-me lover - the Almighty God over all.

A day without prayer seems dry and without meaning. This action of praying enables me to sanctify many moments of my days. It reminds me to be ever watchful of what’s happening and observe the actions of the One Who is the Great-Co-coordinator of every life.

Prayer for me happens at the work places I enter, as I open the door trying to be mindful of the Holy Spirit of God whose presence I desire to bring into these surroundings. It occurs in the super market and the department store. I rarely walk the aisles without thinking, Wow, thanks, for all the choices, what a privilege to live in this great country!

Every time I go outdoors, whatever the season, I move straight into the creative natural realm of Christ which always leads me breathlessly into a form of typical Jewish prayer - spontaneous outburst – used often by Jesus. The picture above shows me doing just that in Breckenridge, Colorado while dwarfed by God's majesty surrounding me.

I embrace all types of prayer: rigid and rote, as well as prayer thoughts straight out of the wild blue. To the Our Father each bedtime, which I share with my husband, I add my own petitions of protection and guidance for those I love and for the whole world. Sometimes my prayer is pure listening to discover new truths about my God, your God, our God. I pray because I know the One to whom I’m speaking.

Did you ever learn: "Glory be to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, as it was now ever shall be, world without end. Amen?" This is an old, ever fresh great prayer. How many saints have said those words?

What are your triggers, your reminders your process, your favorites? Whatever system of continual prayer works for you, if you're willing to share some of your thoughts feel free to post them below.

© Judith Rolfs 2008

Chapter 11 of my women’s book, A Women’s Guide: 52 Way’s to Choose Happiness & Fulfillment, entitled Praying Well, has more ideas about what, when, where and how to pray. Available at Christianbook.com

My prayer for you today is from Scripture from Colossians 1: 9 & 10

“For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.”



No comments:

Post a Comment