Monday, September 29, 2014

Last Day of Talking

September is slipping into October before I’ve savored enough of it. How can these days dance by as they do?

Today I enjoyed a lovely boat ride on Lake Geneva today with my honey. He fishes while I read, what a combination, and we both eat popcorn and apples.

After awhile we drifted a bit as we both napped on and off and I started wondering what I’d want to say if this was my last day for talking?

I’d probably use the LOVE word several times and maybe talk about the two books I’ve been reading - one called Radical Remission by Kelly Turner about people who achieved amazing, unexpected healings from cancer. And the other book about the history of Lake Geneva.

People who had radical remissions from cancer were not passive about life. They took charge by researching and trying experimental procedures to cure their illness. The book described not just type A and B personalities but type C who settle back and accept status quo even when it’s not good. And type C people let others make decisions God would desire they make about their own lives. I’d encourage strong living, that’s what I’d say with my last words. And good and right living, mindful of those who need a blessing that you may be able to give.

It’s no secret I love Lake Geneva (which is why it’s the setting for my mystery novel Bullet in the Night) but I never knew much of its history only lived in its beauty. I’ve been learning about the first families of this area starting in the late 1800’s.

There is nothing like history to put the present into a place of minor importance. It gives comfort and discouragement both. I read of the two world wars. Wars have been and will be again. Since the founding of this country we’ve had many.

I also read about the amazing philanthropy of the estate owners. Corporate CEO’s who carried their employees through the Depression, one set aside $1million dollars for a retirement fund for them. The holiday Camp, the original YMCA, the Art Institute, the U of Chicago, these people truly cared and planned benefits they could give to others.

Back to what I’d say on my last day of talking – I think I might begin by commenting: don’t you think it’s been a most interesting adventure? Yes, I’d say to everyone.

I can’t imagine living a life well without finding something of joy in each twenty-four hours of sixty minutes each.

The stray tree that’s completely turned color leaving the still green-leafed ones beside it looking drab. There’s always something or someone standing out that makes you gasp with awe.

Like our delicious dinner of brussel sprouts with parmesan shavings and sweet potatoes, so lovely and such perfect fall colors. BLT because it was a beautiful summery fall day and that called for a casual summer feast. And razzleberry pie from Mrs. Callender.

What I’d also say, if I only had one day left to suggest it, is NOTICE the color, the design, the motion, the sounds about you. Notice the goodness of people, and don’t trifle with the negatives you hear. Even the war talk, because you can’t change it.

My mother always kept the Serenity Prayer on our refrigerator.

Take a moment, take many moments to lift your head and laugh with the One who delights in your joy.

That’s what I’d probably say if this were my last day of talking. What about you?

I finished Ezekiel in my daily Bible reading. What naughty people lived back then - sinful, conniving, godless. And what of these days? Integrity please – today I notice for the first time the word grit inside in-te GRIT y. Grit is what it takes to hold the moral fort when all hell wants at you and doing right is harder than doing wrong.




No comments:

Post a Comment