Thursday, July 3, 2014

Leaving a Legacy - Free and Real



I hear lots of talk lately about Presidents leaving a legacy. But don’t we all have a legacy to leave?

The only legacy that matters is a life well-lived.  I get this. So how do we do it? An old saying I saw on a plaque in an antique store read, “Only one life it soon will be past, only what’s done for Christ will last.”

So exactly what can we do for Christ?

How about appreciate Him? To spend time in nature with eyes and mind wide open because how can we help but be filled with praise for God. Appreciation is a good thing. Don’t we all like to have our works noted and valued? How can I not feel closer to God as I watch the sky ripped by lightning and hear powerful grunts of thunder that make me cringe with awe. Who can make such a sound?

So I’ve got this covered. Sun or rain I get my God time in the world of nature – easy to manage an hour walk or bike ride or outdoor tennis or golf. And easy to remember, since God announces Himself to me, reminding me to seek Him in His creation every time I look out the window or step from my car. 

Another way to live for Christ is to speak of Him. I try to be respectful of Creation deniers – but it’s hard.  I’m sure it’s only because they haven’t taken time to think through the evolution issue or gather their own data.

Perhaps if they could see through an electron microscope to observe the irreducible complexity within a single cell. Or snorkel and see our magnificent Creator in the variety of fish, some shimmering, some with wild whiskers. One string of DNA should be enough to convince any skeptic. But it’s not for me to change the minds of others, only to speak of what I see. “All things were made through Christ and without Him nothing was made.”

Leaving a legacy for Christ also requires living without false idols. I once thought that referred to worshipping statues, going to psychics and using stuff like tarot cards and amulets. I now understand that idols can be pride, approval-seeking, manipulations of others to get my way. Deep, heavy-duty stuff. All of this blocks being free and real.

Free and real. Isn’t that really what living in Christ requires? I like St. Paul’s words: "To live is Christ, to die is gain." What does that entail? Living as Christ lived – super compassionate, super loving, but super demanding. Saying I’ve healed you, but go and sin no more.  He chastised the religious Pharisaical leaders who twisted His Father’s basic two commandments - ten in expanded form - based on love and respect for God and one another. He objected to these men who held power over others by perpetuating lies about the complexity of faith in God, as some still do.

Jesus recommended living as a little child. Children understand free and real. I’m working on maintaining the free and real.









News and Notes: Young moms, remember to take time to play WITH your children today!

Currently I'm rereading the Christian classics The Cross and the Switchblade and C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters (in a book club). I highly recommend both.

May we all have a great day of legacy building.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. You know this to be the message of my heart. We must be so intentional in leaving a Godly legacy in this world that wants to squelch us at every turn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula,
    Yes, like the story in your novel Legacy and Love!

    ReplyDelete