Saturday, June 15, 2024

Memories and Prayers



Along with the addition of years to one’s life, comes the unanticipated gift of memories. One may pop up any moment, unexpectedly triggered by a scent or a scene. We may repaint some memories to make them prettier or uglier than they were, but a few can never change because they’re so vividly embedded in our souls.


I invited guests over for dessert, friends from church, and the house took on the glow I love when candles are lit, order is prevalent, and talk of God’s ways fills the air. My memory of the evening is sweet.

I awoke during the night with a different memory of another place – less comfy-cozy, but so sacred that it still makes me catch my breath - a hospital oncology floor with beds occupied by children enduring the unendurable and bedside chairs filled with moms and dads who love them, and would gladly change places. 

A few decades ago I was in such a place and I often think of this on holidays where every minute is a gift, and the world of worry over dollars is in the furthest recess of the mind. Every day of mine and our now-grown-son’s life is different because of the memory of what we lived through – to God be the glory! 

I appreciate God’s 2 A. M. reminder for me to pray and attempt to offer solace to those families engulfed in the mystery of suffering and healing especially on lovely spring days like Father's Day and Mother's Day.

Triumphing Over Cancer, A Patient’s Manual is my practical help for adults. Hey, I’ve Got Cancer, Here’s How You Can Help is the children’s version. Love Always, Mom is an amazing, heart-warming, true story of God’s miraculous healing of our son.

“Whatsoever things you ask in prayer, believe that you may receive.” Mark 11:24 

Ask with faith and leave the outcome to our sovereign God.


No comments:

Post a Comment